Saturday, January 11, 2014

Peace Like A River

Probably the biggest debate I have with myself is what my favorite place in the world is. 
The problem is, I have two favorite places.
And they're very different.
But when it comes down to it, I simply cannot decide which one I like more.
So, in no meaningful order, my two favorite places in the whole wide world are:
1) The Rainbow River
2) New York City

Yeah. I'm that chick that loves serenity and loves chaos and just can't choose between the two.



I just got back from a fantastic trip to New York and have found myself craving the city life at random times as I'm back here in good ole' North Central Florida. 
I suppose it's natural. They say distance makes the heart grow fonder. *sigh*

(p.s. I will be blogging about NYC later this week when I can narrow down all the fun into one post!)

But today, in the midst of my city withdrawals, I was reminded of why I love the river SO MUCH.


I began my day with some bible study, focusing on a few segments of the book of Romans. 
Romans 8:6 really stuck out to me:
"To be controlled by human nature results in death; to be controlled by the Spirit results in life and peace."

Peace. That's what we all want isn't it? And there is no greater peace than the kind we receive from Jesus Christ.

So that was my prayer this morning, "Lord, help me follow your Spirit so that I may find peace."


I had a morning kayak expedition planned with my best bud, Travis.
The goal of our journey? To break in Travis's brand new kayak. 
And what better location to do so than the river?

As we boarded the yaks and began our journey, one of my greatest characteristics took charge.
I do this thing where if I think I know more about something than someone else does, I start to explain my take on the situation.
I often do it with cooking while someone is in the kitchen, explaining to insert name here (usually my BFF BonnieJean), step-by-step instructions of how to achieve the perfect dish- Paula Deen style. 
If I'm talking to someone younger than me about UF, I act all wise, recommending classes, professors, parking arrangements and study habits.
And apparently at the river, I act like the ultimate kayak connoisseur. 

As we ventured on our journey, I found myself constantly narrating my normal river yaking routine to Travis.

We had only made it around the first bend and I was already jabbering, "There's a spring over here… That's really the strongest part of the current that we just made it through…" 

But that's why I like keeping Travis around. He lets me jabber my know-it-all heart out and thinks I'm hilarious the whole time. 
It's just peaceful.
Unless we're together in NYC for 7 days straight. But even then, it's pretty peaceful, haha. :)



Anyways, he let me take him through my normal kayak routine at the river.

First we kayaked upstream, although we did take a nice little detour, docking our yaks and exploring a trail through the woods Travis had noticed. (He comes in handy sometimes.)


On the way upstream, we checked out several birds and turtles.

 

Then, as custom, when I reach the head of the river, I jump in the wide open turquoise blue abyss of 72 degree water. That is my favorite moment of all. There's something about swimming underwater in the Rainbow River with your eyes open that just gives you an immense sense of peace.

As we began our descent back down the river, I informed Travis that at this point, I usually lay back in the yak and just float and watch the sky. 
So that's what we did.



Lastly, every time my river journey is about to wrap up, I treat my kayak like a paddle board and paddle back to my lot. 
I realize I'm not Leonardo DiCaprio and I'm not traveling across the Atlantic to America, but it gives me that whole, "I'm the King of the World!" rush.







Today was a wonderful day. Today was a peaceful day.

And can I just have a moment of state appreciation for being able to SWIM in JANUARY?

I've got joy like a fountain, I've got love like the ocean, and I've got peace like a river in my soul.










No comments:

Post a Comment