Thursday, December 28, 2017

Jet-setting tips from a newfound Jet-Setter



If you've followed me lately, you probably know I've been traveling the world. My motto has become: live while you're young. 
I've come to realize God knew just what he was doing in making me a nurse. He knew I can be a hard worker, and yet I can also be the laziest person at times. So, He gave me a job where I go to work and work hard for 3 days. But am off for 4. And I love that-- i never even considered what my schedule would be like when I started nursing school I just always knew that was somehow the right move for me. 

Anyways, with my great schedule, I am given the opportunity to take vacations without even using vacation time. But in addition, I am also given a month of paid vacation. Yay America for treating your nurses well. So in this year of 2017 I've been to: Milan, back home to Florida several times, Rome, Tuscany, Southern Italy, Grenada twice, the Maldives, & Thailand. 
It's been the year of a lifetime and I've done, seen & ate so much. But most of all, I've been on a lot of planes! So I wanna share some pointers with you that I've kinda jotted down in the back of my head.

  1. Checking in:
    * Do not freak out when you go online to check in for your international flight and it appears that something is wrong. They just need to verify your passport. So just wait till the morning and check in at the airport the old fashioned way.
   * Which brings me to my second point: for domestic flights within the US & a checked bag, arrive 2 hrs before departure. For domestic flights within the US with just a carry on, you really only need to be there 1 hr 15 mins before take off. For international flights, arrive 2.5 hrs before departure. For any flights OUT OF ASIA: get your butt there almost 3 hrs in advance, the lines will surprise you. For European flights, stick to US rules, you'll be fine. 

  1. Where to use the restroom: 
  If you have to pee after getting off the plane, do not use the first restroom you see. Walk to the baggage claim and use the bathroom there. It's less crowded, almost always more clean, & kills a little time while you wait for the bags to arrive while still allowing you to be one of the firsts at baggage claim.

  1. So, about baggage claim
 Maybe not everybody is an impatient New Yorker like me, but after a long flight, I just want to get the heck out of the airport. So when you get to baggage claim, don't be a buffoon and stand just anywhere. Look at the other belts and see the way they are rotating--then, proceed to the drop off area of the belt and stand right in front of where the luggage will drop in front of you. It will save you 2 mins but it's worth it. 

  1. If you are flying into NYC, for heavens' sake, don't take a cab/uber
If you're on a budget you simply can't afford the50-80 dollars it takes to get to town. Think of the great drinks or meals you could get for that money. Hop on the subway it literally takes just as much time because the airports are far out in NYC and traffic is nuts.

  1. Sleeping on the plane
Vino + Benadryl within the first 30 mins of your flight= approximately 5-6 good hours of sleep. For a longer flight, simply repeat the steps above.

  1. Get the currency before you get there
 If you're from a big city, go to your local bank and take out 200 dollars worth of the currency you need with your bank here in America. They won't have such high exchange rates as the places in the airport.

  1. Make photocopies of your passport and keep them in a safe place during your travels
Don't be an idiot and let your passport slip out your pocket with no plan B like me :)

  1. Free booze on long flights. 
Take advantage of this

  1. Make sure your Spotify songs are saved to offline mode.
You'll get tired of the one playlist you saved after 1 hr down and 12 to go

  1. As much as you can, don't check a bag
You don't want to lose it, trust me. Pack light & for heavens sake bring a rolling bag not a duffel. Your arms will thank me later. 


Happy New Year & get travelin' 


Xoxo, Rambo 

No comments:

Post a Comment