Sunday, April 12, 2015

Healing Haiti

Hey everybody! 
I just wanted to share with you that I will be going on a week long mission trip this summer to Haiti.
The way it all came together was quite interesting.

Roughly two years ago, while singing in the choir on a Sunday morning, I had a vision of me using my nursing skills for mission work.
Since then, it's not a topic I've really thought about… Until about mid-February this year. This particular week (valentines week) I had missions really on my mind, but when I looked up the opportunities that my campus ministry offered, they were all right in the middle of my summer semester.
What to do, what to do?
I laid the thought aside for just a bit, until I attended a conference with my campus ministry that weekend in Massachusetts. Within the conference, there was a workshop all about missions-- it was during this workshop that I knew the Lord was really wanting me to find a way to be a part of a mission trip this summer. I didn't think God understood-- I only had less than a month of a summer before I began nursing school again, what mission trip could possibly fit into this time slot?
The following wednesday at our fellowship night, a guest speaker was there to speak about… you guessed it… MISSIONS.
I was very exhausted that night, but decided I had to at least speak to the lady and share with her my new found dilemma. She referred me to another woman present at that meeting who had the perfect organization for me-- Healing Haiti. I had not really given much thought at all to what location I wanted to do missions, but once this woman shared with me that the organization sends out groups every week of the year, I knew Haiti must be the place.
When I got home that night, I immediately turned in my application for the one week that would work with my schedule, not even informing my parents about the decision. The next day, I received an email from the coordinator that my application has been accepted and I will be accompanying a group of believers from Minnesota. 
This group has been so loving towards my spontaneity and it's actually pretty cool because most of us are of a younger generation-- something the coordinator expressed was rare.

I will be doing a variety of things during my time in Haiti: delivering clean water, visiting schools, interacting with nursing home patients, and distributing food and supplies. 
I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for my time in Haiti-- a place He obviously wants me to be. 

If you would like to be a part in this adventure and help me help Haiti, you can visit this link.
https://app.managedmissions.com/MyTrip/mirandafugate1
Will definitely be posting about my experience in just over a month!

Love,
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment